Knowledge is Important – and I think we all can agree with that statement. Recorded history has shown us that our very continued existence as humankind is dependent on the success of gathering and disseminating correct knowledge.
This posting on Knowledge and Power is the first in a series of three I will be posting over the next 10 days. I will inquire about this issue of knowledge and how it is used in our lives.
I am certain we probably are already aware of what I write – because it is so pervasive. It is my hope over the next few days I can spark some thought to entice you to embrace possibilities in your life that come from the power in the knowledge you possess.
Let’s face it – everything we know and do is based on the transfer of that knowledge; and we as a human civilization have acknowledged and placed a high value on it.
As our civilizations grew, we became more and more obsessed with knowledge; and as a result, we created and developed systems and processes to maintain the integrity of knowledge. We were organizing ourselves as societies and we recognized that; so these are some of what we created ways to do:
- How to develop valuable knowledge,
- How to validate its authenticity,
- How we decide on the systems of organizing the information,
- Ways in which to gather it,
- The means of transferring the information,
- The use of that knowledge,
- and much, much more.
When this happened, we gave birth to the phenomenon of “Knowledge Is Power”. We created a living social way of dealing with knowledge. This is where POWER morphed from the “Physical” realm and into the “Intellectual”.
When we understood the incredibly immense power information held,
we then created systems to manipulate that information.
It is in these systems and processes where we need and want to better understand knowledge. And … it is in these systems where the greatest abuses take place – especially by those who wield the most power.
Why We WANT To Know About Knowledge
Knowledge Has Been Bastardized
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER IS INFLUENCE
After the world woke up to how knowledge can be used, the use of knowledge was used and manipulated to focus more on achieving the ends of its intention. On many occasions, the content of the information wasn’t/isn’t even important – it was the intention. (I will provide examples below.)
Along the way towards progress over the last 10 or so centuries, we became smarter (and more scared). A lot of that fear is/was rooted in the “fear of the unknown”. So, what was the most natural reaction to face that fear: WAR, of course. Then, as war became less of an annihilating proposition to protect our fear (after all, we are smarter, right?), we slowly began focusing our efforts on the power of information – or knowledge. Hmmm … mind games were born.
As a result, we invested time looking inward into the human psyche and biological processes (along with art and music and literature) because we started to have more free time to think (rather than react).
AHA ! ! !
The social rules of “democratic” life were then conceived, developed, and directed by leaders who best became experts in understanding the myriad of possibilities in achieving power by using knowledge. And what happened then:
Those rules favoured their own personal self-interests
(ie: influence) …
… then Laws were created to protect against
those rules and the people who dared to exercise them.
So what we have now is this graceful dance in society where we play the game of knowledge and power. Those with knowledge become powerful and those without … unfortunately, no so powerful.
Here are some ways in which knowledge is used against us (and we accept it):
The first step in creating POWER from your knowledge:
WE FORM GROUPS
Knowledge is no good to anyone if it is not shared.
This is how power was exercised (and still used) to give leaders their influence. Within these groups, individuals exercise their influence in their level of affiliation with that group. We see it in:
- Individual celebrities
- and many other types of groups.
What gives knowledge it’s power in these contexts is in the value we’ve GIVEN these groups (either individually or as a society). From that high value:
- We give them status and credibility.
- They exercise their power by having an effect on the actions of others.
- It is difficult to remove the group from their status group.
The Group holds the knowledge and decides how much is shared.
Knowledge as Benevolence.
In most instances, there is great value in the inquiry into the issue they are discussing, such as medical associations, or non-profit organizations, or philanthropists, for example. They draw out the brightest and best to advance the interests and (financial) opportunities of their field of interest and their group.
Knowledge as Influence.
For some, knowledge is used to exercise their influence/power on others. For these individuals, groups were formed to raise awareness, create social change, entice action, among other activities within change agency. They draw out the most compassionate and socially respectable who affect the majority of society. Their goals include making concrete differences in life. Therefore, we see groups such as neighbourhood clubs, athletic groups, and other localized and accessible groups.
Knowledge as Assets.
Still for others, knowledge is just a tool to give people more time or money. Knowledge is money and it is played in time. For those who really see life as a game – knowledge is the currency. Unfortunately, time has shown us where this area has been wildly abused. As it becomes more available and validated, we have found many instances of abuses by institutions who were held in high esteem and value in their societies and circles. Examples are found in the number of wrongful convictions discovered (DNA), or with countries trying to institute sedition laws, or when high-security information is leaked publicly about an entrenched group that cannot be denied (Vatican).
As we became accustomed to the whole idea of “knowledge is power”, we’ve mistakenly grown to give knowledge too much credit. Up until recently, we’ve too easily accepted the standards of the use of knowledge because we never knew the unimaginable amount of information available.
The saddest (and damning) result is that Knowledge
has been blindly accepted as a form of Truth by many people.
But now, here in the 21st Century, we are now faced with (probably) the most significant change our civilization will probably ever experience.
The walls of secrecy, information manipulation,
and concentration are coming down.
(We’re just having a hard time right now
because we are in the middle of that destruction!)
We’re Using Outdated Rationale and Practices
People are still clinging onto old processes.
What is real information/knowledge and what isn’t real and believable? The format of information – the digital transformation where it now all begins – has created the convenience of the transfer and manipulation of the knowledge, but we still want to hang onto the HARD COPY necessities of old and outdated practices. Digital information is still an evolving phenomenon.
We have seen over time that all the greatest advances in the world have taken place when the availability and transfer of knowledge increased. Look at the changes we’ve experienced such as the invention of writing tools, the printing press, morse code, telephone, television, and radio.
With these advances in society, and because of the acknowledged PRIZED value to society, the creation and transfer of knowledge gave us sets of rules of conduct and systems to manage information and ensure it’s integrity and value. From these, we got newspapers, books, literature, movies, advertising, won wars, greater health, and so much more to list.
The sources of knowledge also changed.
Where and how knowledge is taken in has been overran by technology changes the information highway. With the advent of computerization, the changes in securing the integrity of information has not been able stay up to pace with changes in technology. We are not accustomed to the speed of taking in information as it comes to us today. The same can be said for access to information; as it globally has never been so widely available before to us.
The Greatest Social Change Ever Experienced Is Upon Us
Today’s technology can be cause for confusion.
Technology can cause greater confusion among the masses because we are faced with thoughts (in the back of our mind) concerning what to read or view. Is there too much information? The quick pace of change has been overwhelming, and for half of society (mostly the older half, lol) – too quick. We have never been exposed to such quick changes – we were brought up to establish habits and routines.
Issues of trust is amplified.
There are many sources of TRUSTED information in many formats from many places. Skepticism among the general public (50% is under 30 years old) is increased because the established forms and sources of information no longer have their power. Established media cannot control information any more because they themselves are being overrun by credible competition.
The model for sharing is not just changed – it is transformed!
Whereas, before it was:
- information came in,
- information-holder decided what was worthy of releasing for public knowledge (for whatever reason – mostly money!),
- the information was released (or not) and spurred public discussion, then
- they moved onto the next issue/story/problem/upset.
The ability for true knowledge-sharing
is taking place
for the first time in civilized society;
AND it’s global.
SECRECY CAN NO LONGER BE ASSURED
Information is becoming more segmented and personal.
Where and how knowledge is used is now changing faster and has no current base from which to measure itself successfully without established credible systems and institutions.
- Over 50% world’s population is under 30
- Younger people have developed different needs and wants from their information.
- Individual “Niche Expertise” is becoming the new frontier in information sharing and the systems of knowledge exchange.
- Young people do not trust established sources of information.
- Now we have “crowd-sourcing” or “group-think”
As I have noted, Knowledge is NOT Power. There was a time when it was what made the world go ‘round; but with the events of the last 25 years, this is no longer the case.
In the next posting, I will look at the current struggle for maintaining the status quo, and how it is being feverishly supported and maintained with much at stake. It proves to be an interesting and eye-opening post.
See you then.
as my thoughts are borne from my heart;
I am calmed from
my soul blessing my misunderstandings,
and returns gratitude through my daily expressions.
In those moments,
as I sense the love of fulfillment in my purpose,
I am reminded –
Another rainbow of possibility
is lighting my way to living my destiny.
© July 2012
Can you imagine enjoying a day where everything is going along as planned; people are being and doing things that don’t upset you; and you feel like a body of energy waiting to take on the next task.
While this sounds like one of those days you will remember for a long time, it is a day you can have each and every day you choose to have it so – and it is a choice for ONLY you to decide for yourself.
What I’ve written so far about Getting Along With Everyone is not about reaching for an impossible goal available only to the most serious. What I’ve written is possible for you. I say this with confidence because it happens to me every day. Remember, I live with 4 debilitating disabilities with all the reasons to not bother even trying this stuff.
So, it is possible for you to Get Along With Everyone and live an exciting life of your choice. Just remember:
Why Do I Think This Will Work?
It is based on historically-accepted writing and teaching in philosophy, psychology, sociology, and theology. As a result, what I am saying here is nothing new.
The content concepts are ancient and respected – and have been sources of discussion throughout our existence as humankind. All I am doing is just taking what was said or written and re-phrased it so that it makes more sense to us in the 21st Century.
Given the results throughout time from using the concepts and ideas, I have a little faith in the content and the power behind it. But I can’t guarantee anything – I can only assert, opine, and propose. But I do think this stuff works because it has for me for many years.
It Will Work Best If You Don’t Buy Into My Assertions
- Believe nothing I’ve written or instructed – it is only drawn from my results in my life; so they are not totally reliable
- Challenge EVERYTHING and be skeptical – you will create your own personal experiences filled with life-altering results that will ROCK YOUR WORLD!
Keep in mind these important notes:
- This opportunity is NOT about being friends with everyone. We can’t be friends with everyone. This is about not having Anybody, any more, doing things that causes upsets in our lives.
- It’s about, for example, seeing someone try to be a bully; and instead of getting angry and shutting down, you are compassionate about the pain the person is experiencing. You can then be an opening for having a conversation and getting an understanding of the person better – if you choose. That bully may be someone to avoid, but at least you won’t be upset any more.
- It’s about all the tiny little conflicts that come into our lives all the time every single day of our lives, and being able to keep the significance in perspective.
______ . ______
What You Need To Remember First Before You Can Begin To Get Along With Everyone?
This is where it’s easy to struggle with this concept (and possibility) and get sucked back into the trap of living the life we currently live every day.
It’s easy – because we are living in the middle of the Game of Life with relationship rules, personal habits, entrenched beliefs, social conditioning, etc. (The Game from which we want to become free).
Yet, because we are all in this same trap together at the same time – we can easily let life slide us back into that Game because EVERYONE plays by those rules. And if we want to break free from those rules, we have to keep reminding ourselves – at least at the beginning – of the secret to Getting Along With Everyone.
FEAR IS EVERYWHERE (and it’s not even real).
- We are all afraid of some things
- We may not even be aware of the instances or levels of Fear
We Train ourselves to react to people and incidents that keep us feeling Safe.
- Because our fears are broad and plenty, we’ve faced them countless times
- We plan our lives around avoiding the fears we hold inside.
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:
We express ourselves (acting out) the only way we know how.
- If yelling at others work (for example) so I don’t feel “less than” myself, then that’s what I would do to get what I want – to not feel this way.
- If crying when I made a mistake works for me so I can feel secure in my job, then I will turn on the waterfalls.
- WE ALL HAVE OUR SECRET WEAPONS to feel less Fear.
______ . ______
What Will It Take To Get Along With Everyone?
We’ve heard the promises for years and years from someone like me who has a suggestion about making life easier. We’ve also heard how it is SOOOO EASY to do (with little or no money down, lol); only to find out later that the work is more of a hassle than the end result.
I’m glad to share with you that other than remembering the 3 points above, that’s all there is to it. Of course, there is a certain way of Being required in order for you to realize the full value of the exercise and the speed of results you seek.
Please allow me to make 3 assumptions about You before we go further. It is these:
- You’ve already read the first 2 posts on this topic/series so you can understand what is actually taking place.
- You’ve most definitely read the posts on fear (– or you just won’t get it).
- You have made a personal commitment to truly and seriously Get Along With Others for all the RIGHT reasons (ie: NOT power and control).
I’ve made these assumptions because none of this information is understandable, relevant, or possible to try out unless you have done these things. That was the hard work – now comes the easy stuff (at least it will be easy once you get started).
I compel you to honour these 3 things I am about to suggest – or this will be the downside:
OTHERWISE, IT WILL TAKE YOU 30 YEARS
OF TRIAL AND ERROR
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT THE SAME CONCLUSIONS
I SHARE WITH YOU TODAY.
Therefore, to save a lot of headaches and time, please take much care to:
- Unless you have ability to take in the full concept of Fear right away, You will have to be patient with yourself.
- You create great relationships and lifestyles OVER TIME and ONE PERSON AT A TIME
- You will notice the changes in Your life through things with which You don’t have any relationship at all.
- Don’t plan or expect something to happen or take place – just let it happen.
- It took You Your whole lifetime to perfect the things that make You who You are today
- Consider this exercise a “skill-builder” that needs reminding every day until it is a part of who You have become
- Eventually, this will all become second-nature to You (better than a Habit).
Don’t Force Anything
- JUST LISTEN – LISTEN – and LISTEN
- It is going to be too easy to fall in a trap of giving advice or suggesting types of action
- Let the relationships You (re-)develop to form organically and without pre-judgement.
- The other person has no idea what is going on in your mind – so they don’t know you are “digging for love”.
______ . ______
What Are Some Of The Things You Can Expect To Happen As You Learn How To Get Along With Everyone?
The suggestions I make below are from my own life experiences with literally thousands of people I’ve met in my life.
What Can Happen To You:
- You will become more aware of what is going on around You
- You will remember more things/conversations about others
- You will become more generous
- You will smile more and be angry less
- You will become more intuitive about other’s feelings
- You will pick better friends
- You will become more compassionate (not sympathetic) towards others
What Can Happen To Others You Already Know:
- They will start wondering what is wrong with You
- Conversations will become awkward – but more profound
- People who care will become closer; those who don’t will drift away from Your life
- They will share more personal/intimate issues with You
- They will want “Whatever It Is You Are On” (LMAO)
What Can Happen To Others (Strangers) You Don’t Know:
- People will automatically become nicer
- More strangers will speak to you from out of the blue
- Small children and pets will become drawn to you
- Ask you for your opinion or directions
What Will Most Likely Happen In Your World:
- People will want to give You things
- People will want from You (not Things)
- Life Will Slow Down to YOUR pace
- Gossip and Drama will become less relevant in Your daily life
- Less Stress and More Laughter
______ . ______
Finally, HERE IS THE SECRET
TO GETTING ALONG WITH EVERYONE:
What You DO To Get Along With Everyone:
It’s real easy and flowing with almost nothing to do. Understanding Fear, and it’s role in our lives, is not difficult to undertake – so please don’t try and complicate anything.
Here we go; and this is what You can do to begin to Get Along With Everyone:
WRITE DOWN the 3 Main Points
- Carry the paper with you always in a pocket You use often.
- Just look at it (and nothing else) as often as you can each and every day.
- The benefits you will receive will become more plentiful over time.
Treat It Like A Game and Experiment
- Just watch how life occurs IN FEAR all around you and in everything.
- Take mental notes of what you see and how you react to those occurrences.
- Let the experience happen organically and accept what takes place – REMOVE ALL EXPECTATIONS!
- As mentioned above – DON’T FORCE ANYTHING!
LET GO of Your OWN Fear
- Remember, WE ALL live in fear, so understand how your own fears play in the relationship and can distort our initial impressions or feelings.
- Look at your internal and external reactions to others – and DON’T JUDGE YOURSELF!
- You are in control and have nothing to Fear – DON’T JUDGE OTHERS!
- The beauty of this exercise BEGINS HERE (letting go of Fear) because you begin to operate your life out of Love and Understanding instead of Protecting and Hiding Out.
______ . ______
The media is powerful – you know it – I know it – we all know it.
We know their power is established in doing their work with honesty, integrity, and the highest degree of professionalism. They’ve fought for the right to hold that esteemed position; and as a result, we (the viewers/readers/listeners) have come to expect the media to live up to their responsibilities that come with being a part of the industry.
Because of the acknowledged MAJOR role media plays in our lives, our societies have developed “checks and balances” consisting of agreements, guidelines, and laws that ensure the media honours the privilege of their position in society. It gives us, the public peace of mind in believing “Big Brother” is being watched.
Sadly, it appears that over time, the public has come to unrealistically trust and believe the media’s commitment to “the truth”. Sadder still, recent events in the last few months have had me wonder whether the public has been duped into this false belief.
– – –
Below, I list 4 examples of recent Media releases in the Toronto Canada market (within the last 3 months) that are at the very least, in very bad taste. When you group the incidents together according to what they do (according to the ELM Test of Integrity), it appears to me to be almost heinous in the powerful abuses they exercise in their actions.
– . –
1 – TSN: The Sports Network – a national cable sports channel
There was a between-period segment where a number of commentators discuss issues and games based on their hockey expertise. The bit was about supportive relationship between a budding young hockey star and the coach of an NHL team. It was an inspiring and positive report.
After the segment, the hockey panel went on to remark on inappropriate relationships with young athletes. Because of what the NHL coach said, the panel made an inference of child abuse by an NHL coach by joking and commenting on the coach’s remarks that he had a good relationship with the young hockey star.
They further joked about it and laughed to give the impression that it was acceptable to laugh about child abuse.
Can you see the possible media abuse when I apply the “ELM Test”?
Ethical: They crossed the line when they brought in the issue of inappropriate relationships with young athletes when it wasn’t necessary.
Legal: They may have caused a legal issue by using the NHL coach as the butt of their jokes about having inappropriate relationships with young athletes.
Moral: They minimized the seriousness of the issue of inappropriate relationships with young athletes by making jokes about the issue.
As a victim and survivor of a sports coach abuse when I was a boy, I was very upset with the segment and how it was twisted. I wrote an email to them (mid-May), but I did not receive a response. I then wrote to another news outlet – they did not respond either.
2 – CP24: CityPulse24 – Toronto local 24-hr all-news channel
A “breaking-news” story came on the TV about two missing women. As is the standard protocol with news releases by the Toronto Police Service, they included information that could help identify the person that is missing.
The second woman broadcast included a description that seemed a bit odd. Along with the usual information (height, weight, hair, etc), it included that the person was Persian. I wondered how someone would know how to identify a Persian, and if there was still a country named Persia.
After I did some research, I found out the name of Persia is no longer in use. I also found out something else that actually scares me:
There was no Toronto Police media report about the missing person.
Actually, the media release didn’t happen until a few days later.
I wrote an email to CP24 asking where they got the reference to Persian, how it was part of the description, and it could be considered racist. They thanked me for my writing to them.
Can you see the possible media abuse when I apply the “ELM Test”?
Ethical: They crossed the line by adding something to the description that was never included in the first place. They manipulated hard news from the police.
Legal: How did they get the information from the Toronto Police Service? The official release wasn’t listed until a few days after the news first broke.
Moral: Was morally wrong to believe they can get away with misinformation. There was no police report (yet the inference was so), and they intentionally made up information.
3 – CTV: CTV News Toronto of national media network
There was a new news host on the program this particular evening. He was doing quite well until he got flustered. When that happened, it only got worse.
After the break, the host introduced the weather person; and unfortunately got her name wrong. After an embarrassing chatter to recover, the host then went on to compliment her on her beauty and the connection to her work.
The weather person handled it very well, and they moved on.
Can you see the possible media abuse when I apply the “ELM Test”?
Ethical: Is it unethical to use something in poor taste (in this day and age) such as referring to a (co-worker and) woman’s beauty to recover. What the heck was on his mind – and how did the weather person feel?
I didn’t find any other questions regarding this incident. I was wondering how they would apologize or even if they felt there was something for which to apologize to the viewers.
4 – Toronto Sun: local daily tabloid newspaper
I was reading the local newspaper and came across a photograph that didn’t look right. After further research, I noticed the “photograph” (as it was credited) appeared to be manipulated by creating an image from several others.
What caught my interest in this particular issue is that I was under the understanding that publicly published images has certain royalties, required credits, and correct information of the image. This image was listed as a photograph when it actually was not.
So, if they are willing to take liberties with something as minor as this; how many other instances has there been in the past? Do they often pass of images as photographs (and thereby deceiving the reading public)?
Can you see the possible media abuse when I apply the “ELM Test”?
Ethical: It appears the image has bee manipulated and has falsely given the reader the impression the image was taken as a complete shot in one take.
Legal: Given the issues with royalties and credits, I have to wonder if the image was created from just his shots or did he use public domain issues? How can the photographer claim any credit for something that isn’t an actual photograph?
Moral: I don’t know if there is a moral dilemma with this issue other than the photographer’s own feelings. Knowing that he did not create a photograph and only created an “image”, how does he come to terms with himself with the appearance of a fraud he is perpetrating?
– – –